Coconut Banana Soft-Serve
Coconut Banana Soft-Serve*
You won’t be going back to commercial ice cream once you taste this! Plus, there’s no added sugar, stabilizers or preservatives – just frozen real food. You will need to plan ahead for this recipe, as it requires frozen ingredients.
Makes 4 servings
1 can (14 oz/400mL) full-fat coconut milk
- Shake the can of coconut milk to make sure it is emulsified and the milk is smooth, without any lumps. You can also open the can into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Open the can and pour half of the milk into ice cube trays. Freeze until solid. (You can use the whole can or refrigerate the remaining coconut milk in an airtight glass container for another use.)
- Peel bananas and cut crosswise into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick slices. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper an freeze until solid.
- Add coconut milk cubes and frozen banana slices to a high-powered blender and process to the consistency of soft-serve ice cream, stopping the blender to stir as needed for even blending. Serve immediately.
- substitute 1 cup (250 mL) of any frozen sliced fruit for the bananas. Most fruit works well with coconut milk!
- Add 1 Tbsp (or more to taste) cocoa powder or raw cacao powder to the blender fo a delicious chocolate soft-serve
Making homemade ice cream or soft-serve this way really works best with a high-powered blender. When you can freeze the coconut milk and then blend it until it is like a slushy, there is no need to add any sugar, and you can enjoy a frozen treat without throwing your blood sugar out of whack.
*Recipe from The Paleo Diabetes Diet Solution, by Jill Hillhouse, CNP, available online at Amazon.